Monday, September 9, 2013

King Tut's FA20Club.com Dyno Tuning Experience

Thanks:

I really want to thank these guys. Without their help, who knows where I would be with my turbo charged BRZ.

LJ @FullBlown Motorsports for building such a damn good turbo kit. He has always been there to answer my questions, and still well after the sale contacts me to see how the turbo kit is running.

Toni @FA20Club.com for finding the time in his busy schedule to dyno tune my car. He already wanted datalogs from the car before it was even off the dyno, and I know his support will continue to be there in the future.

David @Sportsguy83 for setting up the dyno tuning with Toni and hosting me in his house for the weekend. I also need to thank his wife for the great food.

Octane:

All numbers are on Florida 93 octane fuel.

The Story:

Ever since I bought the car,
I knew I wanted to make a car that could outperform a Cayman R for half the price. I figured I would consider it my own personal BRZ STI. I started watching for forced induction options to come out, and when LJ @FullBlown came out with his production based turbo kit, I knew it was time to act. LJ assured me the kit could make 300 whp no problem, which became the goal. The car ran on the basemap LJ provided, but there were some drive ability issues. The power was there, but warm starts and stalling issues bothered me.

I started talking to David @Sportsguy83 and he starts telling me how John @Visconti is coming down to Florida to tune his car and some GT-Rs. I got excited at the opportunity to have mine professionally tuned as well, so I kept in contact with David and contacted John. The original plan was for a street tune and then some dyno tuning. I have already posted my experience with that, but the dyno tuning fell through. John's street tune was amazing, and the majority of drive ability issues were gone. I was very happy, and I headed home knowing I could beat on the car and enjoy it now knowing it is running right.

Since I didn't get on the dyno for tuning, I had to head to my local Dynojet to see if it was making the numbers I wanted, which was 300 whp. I got it on the dyno, and it only put out 278 hp with some real nice torque numbers, but the torque fell off and it didn't make the horsepower in the upper RPM range. I worked with John and sent datalogs and got new ROMs, but none of them seemed any better or any worse, and John wouldn't tell me what he was changing. I don't have a laptop that can flash with EcuTek so each time I had to borrow a buddies laptop such as @akuhei . This was annoying, and I got tired of flashing maps.

I had still been in contact with David, and since John never got down to the MIA to tune his AVO kit, he was still waiting to be tuned. I was hoping John would get back down here and dyno tune both our cars, but he kept delaying, and we got tired of waiting. Toni @FA20Club.com had offered to help both of us previously, and we figured it was time to let him. We setup the date to get dyno tuned last month, and that date was July 12th. I could not wait.

July 12th arrived and we met up with Toni and drove to DST Motorsports in Pembroke Pines, FL who have about the most expensive Dynojet money can buy being it is an AWD capable load control dyno. We arrived at around noon and strapped by car down. Unfortunately, they did not have the module for logging boost, but they did have an AFR probe which went in the tailpipe. We first did a run just as I drove the car down there with Visconti's 14+ PSI street tune he put on my car. It put down better numbers than it did when I dynoed it on my local dyno. I was pretty happy with the result of 287 hp and 245 ft-lbs.

Now it was time to see what Toni @FA20Club.com could do with it. I set my EBC back to wastegate pressure and Toni got started. We did about 6 runs and had beat those numbers at less than 10 psi. Then we started turning up the boost and ended up with some great numbers at 12.5 psi. I was super happy with the results, the torque curve was huge and flat, and Toni had beaten my goals which were 300 hp and 240 ft-lbs. The final results of the day were:

322 hp
265 ft-lbs
12.5 PSI
Dynojet SAE Corrected

The dyno runs were all done in 90F degree heat with typical Florida humidity and rain showers throughout the 3 hours the car spent on the dyno. Toni then spent another 3 hours or so tuning David's AVO kit. We then departed DST Motorsports and headed back with Toni to try and make a local meet that got canceled due to pending rain showers. We still got to meet up again with Toni @ Steak and Shake where he hung out with all the other FR-S and BRZ owners like he was just another enthusiast which was great. Now on to everyone's favorite part. DYNO PLOTS!!!

Dyno Plots:

First up we have a comparison of my @Visconti tune and the final @FA20Club.com tune:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1019x808 and weights 26KB.



You will see that Toni beat John's tune pretty much everywhere with less PSI. The only real advantage of John's tune was that it uses a lean spool and was making about 1 PSI more before peak boost. Here is a comparison of the boost and AFR curves:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1028x598 and weights 32KB.



You will note the weirdness in the boost curve at around 6000 RPM. These logs are from my AEM Failsafe gauge, and it always seems to have these weird areas where it gives results like that, but my EcuTek logs normally don't show those large swings in boost.

Here is a plot of my final two @FA20Club.com tunes to show the small differences in boost and horsepower:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1019x808 and weights 26KB.



As you can see the numbers are similar with between 1 and 2 psi differences in boost:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1028x598 and weights 29KB.



You will also notice that all my plots are Dynojet SAE corrected with a Smoothing of 5. I know quite a few shops prefer to post STD corrected files even though I consider SAE the gold standard. Here are my numbers with STD correction:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1019x808 and weights 26KB.



A decent gain just by hitting a different correction factor, gotta love it. Finally, I wanted to put up a plot to show the differences in the Full Blown and AVO turbo kit both tuned by @FA20Club.com on the same day. They both have relatively small turbos when compared to some of the more recent turbo kit offerings:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1019x808 and weights 26KB.



The AVO kit was running around 14.5 psi while my Full Blown kit was running around 12.5 psi which is what you would expect as the AVO kit has an even smaller turbo than my Garrett GT2871R.

Videos:




written by King TUT via FT86Club.com

No comments:

Post a Comment